Spinning classes are indoor cycling sessions that provide all the experience of an outdoor ride without the danger of bad weather. Classes are held as a group, and workouts are timed to music, with direction from the instructor. One of the nice things about spinning is that the individual is in control of their intensity level, meaning those that are more athletically capable can push harder. The music is carefully chosen to let your mind wander whilst the instructor leads you to challenge some tackling climbs, followed by fast decents, building your endurance and stamina along the way.
As you are surrounded by fellow riders, each 45-50 minute workout acts as a personal time trial. For participants new to spinning, it is important to remember a few key points before beginning. The level of resistance chosen will determine the effectivity of the workout, and many people end up either overdoing it or underdoing it. Remember to keep breathing! Even during the most challenging parts of the workout, avoid holding the breath. It is also important to work on completing full strokes whilst pedalling (ensuring the feet work the pedals all the way around, and not resting during the upward movements).
Additionally, energy for the movements is coming from the core, so try not to grip the handlebars too tightly (a good way to avoid this is to lift the fingers off the bars every so often). Finally, there will be lots of sweating, so drink plenty of water – and have fun!
In a 45 minute to one hour spinning class, our instructor will pump you up and help you burn up to 600 calories, depending on the level of intensity of your pedaling. Thanyapura’s spinning class will get your heart rate spiking by getting you to crank up the dial to climb those hills. In addition to fat burning and losing weight, interval training builds up your endurance over time. You learn to control your breathing as you pace yourself.
If committed to spinning regularly, you will find yourself with toned calves and thighs. Pedaling uses overall muscles in the legs and alternate between high and low intensity workouts, resulting in long, lean muscles and toned legs you will be proud to show off.
- Burn calories and lose weight
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Build lean muscles
- Gain stronger abs and muscles
- Go at your own pace
- Recover from injury
What Should I Bring?
- Water bottle
- Loose-fitting clothes
- Athletic shoes
Additional Class Information
- Eat a few hours prior to spinning class (do not be full or hungry).
- Drink water before, during and after the class.
- If you have any injuries, please be assessed one on one and bring a medical certificate to participate in the class.
- Classes, coaches and venues are subject to change due to availability.
- All classes are on “First Come, First Serve” basis and subject to availability.
- Email: email@example.com or contact Club Services.
- Please be ready 10 mins before classes start to ensure they run on time.